Bayer Construction Co Inc was established in 1935 by Mr. Henry Bayer in response to The Works Progress Administration, renamed in 1939 as the Work Projects Administration (WPA). The WPA hired millions of unemployed people to carry out public work projects, including the construction of public buildings and roads.
Beginning in the 1950s, the company expanded its operations to add civil site preparation, water and sewer line construction, and heavy highway construction that includes asphalt and concrete paving.
Today, the company operates portable crushing plants in several locations in the Flint Hills region of Kansas. The crushed limestone produced is used on projects throughout the area.